This article discusses the problem of protecting the body from viruses during the cold season. The main causes of colds in humans was analyzed and the types of infectious diseases associated with it. It was revealed that in order to prevent colds, it is better to carry out preventive measures, and the dire need to increase one’s immunity, since it is the body’s barrier to microbes and pathogens. And, of course, do not forget about the basic rules for the prevention of colds, which are listed in this article.
In the cold season, the incidence of the population of all ages increases, and, according to official data, it sometimes exceeds 60% of the total population of the country, and children are mostly affected.
The common cold is one of the most common diseases on the planet. They hit people around the world several times a year. Adults usually suffer from two to five colds yearly, and children six to ten times in 12 months.
People, especially adults, are often very serious about colds, and often suffer “on their feet.” The disease seems harmless, because it usually ends in complete recovery, but if the treatment is ignored, it can cause complications.
So what is a cold? What are its causes? And how to prevent it? Let’s figure it out.
The common cold is a viral infectious disease that affects the upper respiratory tract. It is estimated that more than 90% of all “colds” are caused by viruses. The remaining 10% comes from other microorganisms. Scientists are aware of more than 200 viruses that can cause the common cold.
The source of the infection is a sick person, especially if he is at an early stage of the disease: he feels unwell and weak, until the person realizes that he is sick, at this moment he already isolates the virus and infects its environment. The main mode of transmission is airborne, with small particles of mucus and saliva, when talking, coughing, sneezing. In the presence of a bacterial pathogen it can be transmitted through infected objects or food products.
• There are Several Types of Acute Respiratory Diseases (hereinafter-ORZ):
– Rhinitis: affects the nasal mucosa;
– Pharyngitis: inflammation of the pharyngeal mucosa;
– Laryngitis: diseases of the larynx;
– Tonsillitis: affects the tonsils;
– Bronchitis: an inflammatory disease of the bronchi;
– Bronchiolitis: affects the bronchioles;
– Nasopharyngitis: this disease affects the entire nasopharynx.
To prevent the manifestations of a cold, it is necessary to take preventive measures, including to increase their immunity.
Immunity is a barrier to microorganisms and pathogens. Strong immunity protects people from constant colds, dangerous diseases, infections and viruses, and it contributes to good health.
In fact, any quality product with a balanced diet can help strengthen the immune system. Protein is especially necessary for the immune system, because it produces antibodies and interferons, which are necessary for the synthesis of amino acids. In turn, they are the product of processing and cleavage of protein. Therefore, it is necessary to introduce into the body a sufficient amount of protein-rich foods – meat, eggs, fish, dairy products, beans, nuts, and so on. In addition, it is necessary to achieve complete digestion in the stomach, since incompletely digested protein residues can become toxins that weaken the immune system. In addition, if the stomach does not work well, the use of any immune stimulator or immunomodulator will have the opposite effect: the protein must activate the immune system, but because of poor digestion, it does not provide the right amount of protein, so they will be selected from the reserve. And this is a direct path to long-term immunodeficiency.
Micro and macro elements, vitamins play an equally important role in the immune system. Eating a variety of products every day, our body is provided by them to the fullest.
Potassium, copper, zinc, magnesium, iodine, selenium and tellurium are necessary for the normal functioning of the immune system.
Since the body itself cannot produce all the vitamins necessary for active immunity, it should be taken with food. Unchanged minerals and vitamins were found in thermally unprocessed foods. Therefore, each meal should include any leaf salad, raw vegetables or fruits. Try to use natural products that do not contain chemical additives and preservatives. A normal, balanced diet does not require the immune system to apply a powerful force to combat the intoxication of the body.
You should also monitor your physical activity. In a stationary organism, a mass of stagnation occurs, oxygen does not enter the bloodstream, poorly enriches cells with nutrients. Muscles atrophy, the body degrades. Therefore, every morning you have to do exercises, as well as exercise regularly. In the body, where all processes occur faster, immune cells form faster, which increases protection against infection.
One of the effective ways to improve immunity in folk therapy is the hardening of the body ..
• The Main Methods and Procedures of Hardening
– Air: Procedures for the gradual reduction or increase in air temperature;
– Sunny: Such procedures have a thermal and bactericidal effect. In addition, the sun’s rays are involved in the formation of vitamin D;
– Walking barefooted: Strengthening the foot, reduced sensitivity to cold and pain;
– Water: The most effective method of tempering. There are many subspecies of water procedures, like bathing in cool water, rubbing with a wet towel, douche, bath (with a sharp temperature drop when diving from it into a cold pond or pool), receiving a contrast shower. They can be partial (for example, only drenching the legs) or complete (when the whole body is involved, that is, all ways). The temperature of the water is regulated in accordance with the planned action: with a gradual increase (decrease) in temperature or contrasting.
In summer and autumn, the body receives the necessary vitamins and minerals from fresh fruits and vegetables. And in winter and late autumn, folk remedies will help strengthen the immunity.
Graduation Hardening procedures begin to take from a few minutes to a longer period of time, with a gradual decrease.
Systematic – It is necessary to perform hardening procedures regularly, eliminating breaks that may lead to weakness of the body.
Individuality – Choose treatments that match your health and age. Hardening children need to be done very carefully. It is recommended to consult with a specialist.
Variety of procedures – Conducting various procedures allows you to use a large number of “areas” of our body.
Balanced load – Excessive procedures can be detrimental to health. Avoid fanatical attitude towards hardening. Moderation is a good quality that fits all situations.
Reception of drugs to improve immunity should begin after consultation with the doctor. The use of these funds is recommended only in emergency cases when other methods do not work, the disease lasts too long, and often the incidence exceeds 6 times each year.
• Basic Rules for Cold Prevention and Strengthening the Immune System
• Nasal and Oral Cavities Access Restrictions: Wear a medical mask if you must stay in a place that exposes you to possible infection.
• Treatment of the nasal passages: To enhance the effect, you can use oxolinic ointment to lubricate the nasal cavity or a cotton swab dipped in onion juice. Wipe clean only at the entrance, otherwise you will burn the mucous membrane.
• Rinsing the nose: After returning home, you need to clean the nasal cavity with soapy water or irrigate it with saline. This is necessary so that the viruses do not stay here and do not begin to multiply.
• Arms: Ensure to wash your arms with soap for 20 minutes, at least, after using public places. Alternatively, use wet antibacterial wipes in the absence of water.
• Processing room: Regularly rub the floor with a chemical disinfectant which destroys and kills bacteria deposited in the dust.
• Ventilation: Cold fresh air does not allow the multiplication of bacteria and viruses. This is why ventilation is necessary at your home and work place.
It is important to note that the prevention of acute respiratory infections (ARVI) should be systematic in both adults and children. It is best to combine several measures to enhance the protection of the body.
Thus, the increase in immunity should be carried out for prophylactic purposes, since it is the microbial and pathogenic barrier of the organism. Strong immunity protects people from constant colds, dangerous diseases, infections and viruses, and it contributes to health promotion.