Papaya and Its Health Benefits
Papaya is one of the most commonly found fruits around the world. It is relatively large sized with pear-like shaped fruit of the Genus Carica. Papaya is generally known as pawpaw and is native to Mexico and South America. However, it also grows in other tropical parts of the world.
Papaya skin is usually green when unripe and yellow or yellowish green when ripe. Papayas are of different types but the commonly known types are the Hawaiian sunrise and sunset and the Mexican red and yellow papaya which has a reddish flesh when ripe. This soft and juicy fruit irrespective of its types is packed with amazing nutritional contents that are of huge benefits to whoever eats it.
Papaya leaves contain iron, magnesium, Calcium and vitamins . Papaya leaves are highly medicinal, the leaves are effective in detoxification and curing the problem of indigestion as it contains enzymes such as papain and protease that aid digestion.
The leaves of papaya are packed with significant amount of antimicrobial and anti inflammatory properties that reduces inflammations on any part of the body. Papaya fruits contain carbohydrate that strengthens the body,water,protein and low amount of calories. It also contains vitamin A which has anti cancer agents like beta carotene, vitamin E,vitamin C and vitamin K.Papaya contains magnesium and calcium needed for string bone formation.
The Health Benefits of Papaya
1. Papaya Aids Digestion: Eating papaya always could help you solve problem of indigestion or poor bowel movement, this is because of the presence of papain in papaya. Papains are enzymes that specialize on breaking down/ digestion,these papains digest proteins faster thus improving intestinal functions.
2. Eating Papaya Reduces The Risk Of Cancer: Papaya is considered one of the best fruits in reducing the risk of cancer because it contains a high amount of beta carotene which is an antioxidant that plays a huge role in inhibiting the release of free radicals that cause cancer. So inculcating papaya into your diet would help keep cancer at bay.
3. Papaya Improves General Skin Health: We live in a world where chemicals and harsh weather conditions do a lot of damage to our skin, and so to avoid these damages and maintain a healthy skin, it is important to healthier to use natural remedies. Papaya does excellently well in improving skin health due to it lycopene content which is an antioxidant that helps reduce the level of damages the skin sustains fro Ultraviolet Ray, this lycopene also helps in the production of collagen which improves skin elasticity and reduce the effects of ageing on the skin.
4. Papaya Reduces The Risk Of Cardiovascular Diseases: This it does with help of potassium present in it. Potassium has been scientifically proven to lower blood pressed by enlarging the blood vessels to enable blood flow in and out of the heart without obstruction. This free flow of blood keeps the heart healthy and as well keep high blood pressure at bay.
5. Papaya Helps In Weight Loss: If you are on the journey of weight loss, then low calories intake is advised. Which is why papaya is one of the best options for weight loss because it contains low amount of calories compared to other fruits like mangoes and pineapple which have higher calories. Papaya has high fiber level which is very key in digestion of food and prevention of fat absorption during digestion.
Papaya or pawpaw as it’s generally called is really beneficial when added to daily diet. You can find them in markets, farms, and even from your fruit vendors on the street. You can enjoy it raw, or made into fine juice, it can also be eaten alongside other varieties of fruits as fruits salad. So go ahead and build yourself a healthy life by just eating papaya.